5 Inspirational Quotes From Fashion Mavens
It’s easy to assume that those who work in fashion (or partake of it) are nothing more than superficial, bubble-headed ditzes. But keep in mind that fashion is a multi-billion dollar industry. The designs that flounce down runways today are months in the making, and they set the tone of style for tomorrow. In truth, fashion is less about what you have in your closet than how you put it together and use it to express yourself. Here are just a few quotes from those in the know that illustrate this point.
- “I think there is beauty in everything. What ‘normal’ people would perceive as ugly, I can usually see something of beauty in it.” – Alexander McQueen. McQueen often found himself on the cutting edge of fashion precisely because he could turn a tartan plaid and some tulle into a haute couture dress and matching suit. His exquisite and sometime oddball creations may not have been loved by all, but everyone found them intriguing and fashion forward. The point is that there is beauty all around us, if only we can see it, and even something traditionally ugly can be made beautiful.
- “Elegance is the only beauty that never fades.” – Audrey Hepburn. This famous actress and fashion icon was lucky in that she enjoyed great natural beauty, but even she realized that it was fleeting. Of course, she was also exceedingly elegant, a feature that stuck with her. Even as she grew older, developed wrinkles, and so on, her sense of style and refinement made her beautiful. It’s a good lesson for moms that insist upon dressing like their teenage daughters – there’s nothing less elegant than a 40-year-old muffin-top stuffed into juniors jeans. Not pretty.
- “One is never over-dressed or underdressed with a Little Black Dress.” – Karl Lagerfeld. Lagerfeld has been praised for his collections and denounced for his views on ideal beauty (it wears a size double zero, apparently), but he was right on with this quote. If there’s one staple that every woman should have in her closet it’s the little black dress. No matter what size or shape you are, this wardrobe basic will see you through occasions like a night out with your hubby, a school function for the kids, or a gala event, depending on how you dress it up or down. It’s a fashion must-have.
- “Over the years I have learned that what is important in a dress is the woman who is wearing it.” – Yves Saint-Laurent. This is something of a variation on the idea that you should never let your clothes wear you. But it also speaks to the fact that the clothes don’t make the woman. You can be wearing glamorous, fashionable, expensive clothing, but if you lack confidence or you’re downright mean, others are not going to see you as beautiful. The way you present yourself has more to do with your attitude than the way you decorate your body. Form follows function, as they say in design.
- “Style is a way to say who you are without having to speak.” – Rachel Zoe. She may be better known for the celebrities she styles than the inspirational quotes she spouts, but Rachel Zoe hit the nail on the head with this one. Some women find fashion daunting while others revel in it. But all can use clothing and accessories to say something about themselves. And when you give up and wear sweats and Crocs every day, your uncaring attitude shows. So put in some effort and you’ll reap the rewards by looking and feeling great, not to mention attracting the right kind of attention.